Latest Event Updates
Check out our teaser film to get an idea of what the weekend was all about!
Couldn’t make it to the weekend? Have an idea or want to help expand on other ideas? Come join us at CyCLO, Quai des Charbonnages 34, on October 5th from 19h00 on for a follow-up meeting!
Shared cargo-bikes wins 1st prize: Final Results of Cyclehack BXL 2017
For the 3rd time the Brussels edition of the worldwide Cyclehack event took place in September 2017. Housed by CyCLO, it brought up a lot of inspiration to make our cities more bike-friendly. Among the seven projects that were developed during this intense 48h-event, one definitely convinced the jury. “Bike and go!”, a system of shared cargo-bikes. Its inventors surveyed the need for renting or borrowing cargo bikes via a peer-to- peer system. They ended up in a concept for Villo! and other bike share systems to also provide cargo-bikes, trailers and other styles of bikes that allow for better urban logistics.
These were the six other projects to come out of Cyclehack BXL 2017:
- HackLock: A “visitor” lock attachment for the public Bike Boxes, which allows someone to attach their bicycle to the side of a box
- Street Art & Bike Boxes: A full project plan to combine street art with Bike Boxes to make them more beautiful, involving locals and artists
- DIY Dynamo: An educational concept to raise awareness in schools about being visible with bicycle lights, allowing for children to learn about 3D printing, basic electrical circuits and dynamos (all for a very low price)
- Federal Critical Mass: A critical mass reunion developed the idea for a Federal Critical Mass and the need for all Belgian critical masses to get together to discuss ideas, tips and issues
- Paal Parking Poteau: A simple metal structure that turns every typical green Brussels small street pole into a bicycle parking. A cheap and reversible solution to the lack of bicycle parkings in Brussels using existing infrastructure.
- Bike racks “U”-style: An online program dedicated to bring all existing bike racks on a map, in order to facilitate the implementation of new ones
The projects were an answer to a wide range of barriers to cycling that were collected among the Brussels population during the weeks before. The teams got additional inspiration by the presentation of Smart City Brussels (Céline Vanderborght), CycloParking (Marie Verkaeren) and MAD.Brussels (Olivier Gilson). At the end of this year’s Cyclehack, all teams got critical and very constructive feedback by the four jury members: Mikaël Van Eeckhoudt (director Fietsersbond), Aniss Mezoued (professor of urban planning and mobility in Louvain-la-Neuve), Marlies Deforche (organizer Cyclehack 2015 & 2016) and Pieterjan Volckaert (winner Cyclehack 2015).
Many of the teams will soon come together again to discuss further steps and effective implementation. If you want to support them with your skills and ideas, join them on 05/10/2017 at 19h00 at CyCLO Buro, Quai des Charbonnages 30-34, 1080 Bruxelles. Don’t hesitate, everybody is welcome.
We’ve gathered a cool group of people to speak at the opening on Friday to inspire you.
- Marie Verkaeren, head of project, CycloParking
- Céline Vanderborght, Smart City Manager, CIRB.brussels
- Olivier Gilson, Research & Development Director, MAD Brussels.
It’s a bit of everything for you – from the innovation and ideas of Brussels Smart City, to the design aspect with Mode and Design (MAD) Brussels and the real barriers and solutions faced by CycloParking. Come learn and share with our speakers and others.
Doors open at 19h00, presentations start at 19h30 (and the bar is open the whole time).
De deuren gaan open om 19u00, de presentaties starten om 19u30 (en de bar is de hele tijd open).
Les portes s’ouvrent à 19h00, les présentations commence à 19h30 (et le bar sera ouvert tout le temps)
What is a cyclehack? A cyclehack is a concrete solution that solves a barrier to cycling. It is an idea that is created and tested in 48 hours to make your city more bike friendly. Whether you are an occasional cyclist, a daily commuter, a driver, a pedestrian – anyone can participate. The whole weekend is about crowdsourcing ideas and energy to overcome the obstacles we face everyday. Check out the past editions to see what we created over the course of the weekend, resulting in a variety of interesting projects.
Groups will form around barriers and a few drinks to help the ideas flow on Friday. Saturday, the groups begin their hacking. We have two places set up at our disposal for that: Cyclo Buro and FabLab.iMAL. Whether you need a computer, a 3D printer, a hammer, or just some creative energy, all-day Saturday will revolve around working in your group on a cyclehack. By Sunday afternoon, we present our ideas to each other, prizes are awarded and we celebrate a great weekend and the future of cycling in Belgium!
Sounds like right up your alley?
Join us! Tickets are by donation (minimum 1EUR).
Got questions? Email us! email@example.com
Gisterenavond nous étions au Apéro rue de la Loi organisé par GRACQ, Fietsersbond et Critical Mass Brussels. Voila quelques obstacles que nous avons collecté:
- Hoe te navigeren door de Brusselse wegenjungle met 2 kleine kinderen op hun fiets in mijn spoor
- les voitures garé sur les pistes cyclables
- l’interaction entre pietons et cyclistes sur certains routes
- cars cutting in front of you at roundabouts (even if you’re ahead of them)
- Platte batterij aan de voet van de rue des colonies. #powerbankforelectricbikes?
- endroits ou l’infrastructure n’est pas claire (les cyclistes ne savent pas s’ils peuvent tourné à gauche)
- Lorries/Trucks passing through the city centre (not enough space, too many blind spots)
- Boodschappen doen met de fiets
- le ronde point Montgomery – dangereux!
- le croisement du ring près de Zuidstation
- Stalingrad – fontainas: voorstel om het fietspad met de autolaan te wisselen, de automobilisten lijken al akkoord te zijn aangezien ze altijd op het fietspad staan
Le vendredi 15 septembre nous allons faire notre expo d’obstacles // Friday evening is our exposition of barriers to cycling in Brussels – join us to add yours and to discuss solutions!
Merci/Bedankt a tout ce qui on parlé avec nous! See you soon in September for more!